Update on Frank Muller—June 16, 2005

Frank Muller is known to many as the voice on the first nine Left Behind audio books. On November 5, 2001, Frank was badly injured in a motorcycle accident near his home in California. He still faces a very long recovery. Frank's brother Leo provides periodic updates, which we present here to keep the Left Behind community up to date and to remind you all of the need for continued prayers for Frank, his wife Erika, their children (Diana and Morgan), and their families and friends.

Since Frank was unable to read the last three books in the series, Jack Sondericker read The Remnant, and Steve Sever was selected for Armageddon and Glorious Appearing.

Below is an excerpt from an update from Frank's brother Leo.

I visited Frank and his wife Erika in North Carolina. Frank is not able to live full time at home, and is currently in a long-term care facility. He has lost ground in his occupational, physical, and speech therapy. Erika and the doctors have decided he is temporarily better off in a facility where his medications and routine can be stabilized, after which he may return home. This has taken much longer than originally anticipated.

You may recall that Frank's brain was impacted two different ways in the motorcycle accident on November 5, 2001. The first was the Diffuse Axonal Injury (DAI). The second was three episodes of cardiac arrest, which deprived his brain of oxygen. This unique combination of brain damage has no clear precedent and, therefore, no clear course of treatment or prognosis. However, it has become clear that, barring a miracle, Frank will remain in or near his current state for the rest of his life.

There is a possibility he will stabilize enough to spend time at home with his family. He does occasionally go on outings, such as when he came with us for dinner with a dozen or so family members. Frank did very well, remaining calm and pleasant. He seemed to enjoy the evening, occasionally laughing or making a brief comment that showed he knew what was being said.

At other times during my visit Frank was difficult. A significant impact of Frank's injury is that he has very little ability to restrain his behavior, and he tends to get stuck on something he sees or wants, so this combination often results in obsessive behavior related to mundane activities such as eating. That being said, we did have several peaceful meals together as well.

On the last afternoon of my visit we visited Frank and I read excerpts from two books—the first an article he had written on the narration of books, and the second an interview of him about being a narrator. He was very attentive, occasionally agreeing or briefly commenting on something I read, or laughing at a funny part. I then borrowed a guitar and played and sang a few songs. He clearly loved our time together.

We continue to hope that family times like these, both at the facility and at their home, will become everyday occurrences. Please keep Frank, Erica, Diana, and Morgan in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks very much!

I've asked Erika to add a few words of her own to this update.

We are continually moved when at least once a week a new piece of fan mail arrives, which I then read to Frank. I save every one. The children are our strength; Diana is happily in kindergarten, and Morgan is turning into a small Frank, but with bright red hair. Both children play with accents and silly voices. Diana is nearly reading and will "read" to Morgan by making up stories to go with the pictures in a favorite book, and do the voices. They bring out the best in Frank.

Our family thanks all of you for your continued support of Frank. I know it will help our children to know what an amazing artist their father is by someday reading all the beautiful letters we have received.

Thanks to all of you,